Where is the completed feasibility study on proposed undersea tunnel? - Gerakan - Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia

Where is the completed feasibility study on proposed undersea tunnel? - Gerakan

GEORGE TOWN: Gerakan wants Penang government to furnish the feasibility study on the proposed undersea tunnel linking the island and the mainland.

State party acting Youth chief Jason Loo, in his request, said this was because the state government had promised that the report would be completed last month.

"The DAP-led state government had earlier informed the public that the feasibility report is due to be completed in September 2017. However, it is now October, where is the feasibility report?

“Is this yet another empty promise made by the Penang government?” he asked today.

It was reported on June 15 last year that Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng had said that the RM305 million feasibility report was almost complete.

In May this year, state Works, Transportation and Utilities Committee chairman Lim Hock Seng told the state assembly sitting that 87 per cent of the feasibility report had been completed.

He also mentioned that the state government had already extended the dateline from December last year to September this year.

"It seems they spent longer time to finish the last 13 or 20 per cent than the initial 80 per cent.

"Why can’t you keep your words? Why must you guys keep deceiving the Penangites?" he asked.

Loo said he had applied many times for the details of the feasibility report via the Freedom of Information (FOI) Enactment but his applications were all "conveniently and surprisingly" rejected.

"I urged the Penang government to be responsible...Please let us know the latest progress and let the people view the feasibility report," he added.

Hock Seng has yet to respond to the New Straits Times' queries on the matter.

It was reported in April that Guan Eng had said that the study could not proceed as the state was awaiting a master plan for a reclamation project in Butterworth.

He claimed that the reclamation work, involving 650ha near the Penang Port, has yet to commence despite being awarded by the former Barisan Nasional (BN) state government to Rayston Consortium Sdn Bhd in 1999.
 
 
 
 

Search

Calendar

Top

Follow @partigerakan