Capacity doubled after upgrading of sewage plant in Batu Ferringhi

THE upgraded Batu Ferringhi sewage treatment plant in Penang is a RM44mil facility that is much needed to treat water of nearby residential and commercial areas, before it makes it way into the sea.

With its capacity now doubled, it will facilitate the rehabilitation of the seawater along Batu Ferringhi, said National Water Services Commission (SPAN) chairman Datuk Liang Teck Meng.

“Batu Ferringhi has developed rapidly because of tourism and we have stepped up to meet the growth.

“From handling a population of 30,000, the plant can now cater to 60,000 people,” he said.

He added that the plant was expected to handle its maximum capacity only in 2035.

The treatment plant was handling more than its capacity previously, Liang said at a press conference after a site visit yesterday.

The upgrading, he said, was funded by the Malaysian Sewerage Capital Contribution Fund under SPAN and was completed on Jan 13.

“The project took 32 months. This is one of the 7,000 sewage treatment plants managed by Indah Water Konsortium (IWK) nationwide,” he added.

Also present were SPAN executive director Mohd Ridhuan Ismail, IWK chairman Tan Sri Abu Zahar Ujang and acting chief executive officer Mohamed Haniffa Abdul Hamid.

Earlier, the invited guests and members of the press were taken on a short tour of the 11,058sq m facility by IWK northern regional operation head Hussain Omar.

 

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/metro/community/2017/07/21/big-boost-for-tourism-belt-capacity-doubled-after-upgrading-of-sewage-plant-in-batu-ferringhi/

Search

Calendar

Top

Google+
Follow @partigerakan